, ,

DIY Hair Mask #1: Egg & Olive Oil

1:30 PM

I had my hair rebonded again on July 21, 2014. That is probably my 4th experience at hair rebonding. As usual it lasted 7 hours. 2 months after my hair was rebonded last year, 2013, I had my hair colored using Epsa Permanent Hair Color in Dark Intense Ash Blonde 6/11. This has, of course, left my hair prone to breakage and dryness. My hair stylist even advised me to give my hair a break from rebonding for a while! He suggested that I take Brazilian Keratin blowouts, which is far less damaging but far more expensive the rebond.

I have learned that the scalp is very porous. Since then, I have switched to Human Nature shampoo (I find their conditioner not very moisturizing for my super dry hair). My go-to hair mask is Dove Damage Repair but I wanted to try something more natural.


So here is my DIY Hair Mask blog #1: 


Egg and Olive Oil Hair Mask

1 whole egg
3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
Optional: Fragrant essential oil for scent

Procedure:
1. Mix the egg and the olive oil in a bowl and whisk it with a fork until it's appears like a serum. Using an electric blender will make it appear creamy and frothy. Add a few drops of essential oil if you don't like the smell of raw eggs.
2. Leave it on your DAMP hair for 30 minutes.
3. Your hair will harden. In my experience, this is normal. 
5. Wash it off under running lukewarm shower water. In my experience, my hair became so stiff and tangled that I never combed my finger through it because it breaks!
6. Shampoo and slather lots of conditioner and leave the conditioner for 30 minutes.
7. Wash and towel dry.

Effects: Honestly, I don't like this egg and olive oil hair mask. While it made the hair near my roots feel super soft, it made the ends of my hair very brittle! I also had lots of hair fall. Take note, my hair is rebonded and dyed with permanent hair color. It took a while before the raw egg scent has worn off my hair. 

Hair after Egg+Olive Oil Mask.
Dye is Epsa 6/11 Dark Intense Ash Blonde applied last November 2013.
My hair was rebonded last July 21, 2014.

See these brittle ends after the egg+olive oil mask? I had to cut them off.


Straw hair! Super brittle.


The trick I used was to apply several drops of olive oil on my palm and rub it on my damp hair after washing off the conditioner. Then when my hair is almost dry, I apply a pump of hair laminates to seal the hair cuticles. I use Black Beauty Hair Moisturizer w/UV Protection.



Here are Black Beauty Hair Protect ingredients:







Verdict
3/5

Hm. I will probably try other natural DIY hair masks. This egg and olive oil mask made the ends of my hair very brittle. I also had lots of hair fall. For some women this may work, but for me (rebonded+dyed hair), it makes my hair really rough when wet. I gave a 3 because it made my new hairs soft.

I DON'T recommend this to women with dry, chemically-treated and abused hair.



You Might Also Like

0 comments

Today's Views

Website Visitor Counter