, , ,

My Wisdom Tooth Extraction (Philippines)

9:12 PM

I just had my wisdom tooth extracted last March 31, 2015 (Tuesday). What a way to welcome April Fool's Day. I had my panoramic x-ray done at UP Manila College of Dentistry (along Taft Avenue) for Php 270. My initial plan was to have my wisdom tooth extracted (odontectomy) at the UPM College of Dentistry as well because it's so affordable (Php 300) compared to what most clinics charge. With this price, I know I shouldn't expect a lot. Maybe they would skimp on anesthesia. When I told my mom about my wisdom tooth, she was worried about the commute I would take after the surgery (I live in Cainta) so she offered to pay for my wisdom tooth extraction at our favorite dentist just outside our village gate. It cost her Php 5000




Wisdom Tooth Extraction at UPM College of Dentistry





UP Manila College of Dentistry is a school, so you can't just walk in and expect to be greeted by dentists.

FIRST you have to get your patient record done. They will not entertain anyone without a patient record. To get your patient record done, come at either 7:30 AM or 12:30 PM so they can entertain you at their 8 AM and 1 AM opening. Tell the guard you want to get your patient record done then she will give you a number stub. College of Dentistry only has 10 stubs for 7:30 AM and 12:30 PM batches. I arrived at 12:45 PM and I got the #6 stub. 

SECOND once the offices are open at 8 AM and 1 PM (it's a school remember), go to room 303. You will fill out a registration form and pay Php 7 there. Your name will then be called and you will be attended by a clinician. By clinician I mean 3rd to 5th year dentistry students who are doing practicum. They are warm, nice and well-experienced so no worries. They will check up on your teeth and ask general questions about your oral hygiene and other drugs you take. 

THIRD Tell them what you want to get done (wisdom tooth extraction, amalgam, cleaning, braces, etc) and the clinicians will guide you to a more experienced clinician. If you want to have a panoramic x-ray taken, tell them too.

FOURTH be prepared. Not everything can be done in one day. For wisdom tooth extraction in UP Manila, the clinician will first check the condition of your tooth and assess you what to expect and what to do before and after.  You will then set an appointment with your clinician (they will get your cell # from the patient record). 

If you live around Taft or around that place or if you have a driver (don't drive after the surgery) and if you're on a tight budget, then UP Manila college of dentistry is a good place to get your wisdom tooth extracted. If you just want an affordable amalgam (pasta, Php 190 tooth colored) or general cleaning (Php 45), UP Manila college of dentistry offers them too.


This is the updated PRICE LIST of dental services in UP Manila: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Cz4R4zQoASoZq9dbz1GFndZZz3Hgqs3RHueLOH4Gn1M/edit

DO NOT contact the numbers and email in the Tumblr page as they never reply. It's best to just drop by UP Manila.

My Wisdom Tooth Extraction Experience




So I wasn't really able to get my tooth extracted in UP Manila. I had it extracted for Php 5000 (that's my dentist's regular rate). The clinic is located in Cainta, Rizal right in front of Greenland Subdivision (not Greenpark). The landmark for Greenland is the Rublou business center and Mercury drug below it. I like her because she has had several training local and abroad and still charge that affordable (compared to other clinics). It is a dental clinic, not a dental hospital, so the room was quite small.

These are the tips my dentist gave me before and after wisdom tooth extraction.

1. BEFORE: She prescribed me antibiotics (Cloxacillin. Mine is RiteMed brand) that I should take 3x a day for 3 days before the surgery. 1 hour before the surgery, she asked me to take 1 capsule of tranexamic acid to minimize bleeding. 

2. AFTER: She asked me to continue my antibiotic dosage for 4 more days (so 7 in total, 3+4). I took antibiotics for an additional 3 days, totalling to 10 days (3x a day) since my socket was still painful. She asked me to gargle that Povidone Iodine mouthwash so my wound would heal faster. She also prescribed mefenamic acid for normal pain and a stronger pain killer (I forgot the name) that I should take when the numbing effect of anesthesia has waned.

Wisdom tooth extraction: What to expect

1. Your face will swell! Ice packs are a MUST for 24-48 hours after surgery. The anesthesia will take effect for another 3 hours so my right face was numb for quite a while. When the anesthesia was gone, I felt so beaten! I was lying in bed for 2 days after the surgery because I felt so weak.

2. No solids! Until now (9th day after surgery) I still can't chew meat. For 1 week eat only soup, pasta, noodles, soft bread (Gardenia), squash, banana and other soft foods. I feel like a toothless baby with my current diet.  I couldn't open my mouth wide and I couldn't chew that hard. Mom brought me food to my room for 4 days.

3. 2-3 days after the surgery you'll feel better but after that, dry socket sets in. Contrary to what the internet says, dry socket is common. During this time, the wound and stitch would emit a very foul and fishy smell. Every time I exhale, I smell my own "rotten" wound haha. It lasts for about 5 days. Gargling salt+water helps lessen the smell. The area would also start to hurt more. The lymph nodes around my right jaw were swollen, indicating infection even though I'm on antibiotics.

4. The injection sites can turn into mouth sores (singaw). I had no choice but to gargle salt+water and apply baking soda on them. I was literally so depressed because my face hurts, I couldn't eat solids plus my breath stinks.

5. On the 7th day I started to feel much better, almost normal, although my breath still smelled bad and my socket hurts. 

You Might Also Like

1 comments

Today's Views

Website Visitor Counter